[Python-Dev] Import and unicode: part two

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:47:32 CET 2011

Toshio Kuratomi:

> My examples that you're replying to involve two "properly
> configured" OS's.  The Linux workstations are configured with a UTF-8
> locale.  The Windows OS's use wide character unicode.  The problem occurs in
> that the code that one of the parties develops (either the students or the
> professors) is developed on one of those OS's and then used on the other OS.

   This implies a symmetric issue,. but I can not see how there can be
a problem with non-ASCII module names on Windows as the file system
allows all Unicode characters so can represent any module name.

   OS X is also based on Unicode file names. While it is possible to
mount file systems on Windows or OS X that do not support Unicode file
names these are a very unusual situation that will cause problems in
other ways.

   Common Linux distributions like Ubuntu and Fedora now default to
UTF-8 locales. The situations in which users may encounter
installations that do not support Unicode file names have reduced
greatly.

   Neil