[Python-Dev] Import and unicode: part two

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jan 21 11:42:14 CET 2011

Atsuo Ishimoto writes:

 > Java, a leading language of IT industry, have already support
 > non-ASCII class files for years. But I've never seen such files in
 > production in Japan, and didn't improve situation until now.

So why wouldn't Python work the same way?  The rest of the world can
use non-ASCII modules names sparingly, and Japanese programmers can
avoid them diligently.  Or learn to use them properly and teach each
other; if anybody has the experience of multiple encodings needed to
figure out a good way to use the native language in program
identifiers despite the encoding problem, my bet is it would be Japan.