[Python-Dev] Import and unicode: part two

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Jan 21 12:31:29 CET 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 22:25:17 -0500
James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:27:08 -0500
> > Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> To support the latter, could we just make sure that zipimport has a consistent,
> >> non-locale-or-operating-system-dependent interpretation of encoding?
> >
> > It already has, but it's dependent on a flag in the zip file itself
> > (actually, one flag per archived file in the zip it seems).
> >
> > (by the way, it would be nice if your text/mail editor wrapped lines at
> > 80 characters or something)
>
> You could complain to Apple, but it seems unlikely that they'd change it. They broke it intentionally in OSX 10.6.2 for better compatibility with MS Outlook.
>
> (for the technically inclined: It still wraps lines at 80 characters in the raw message, but it uses quoted-printable encoding to escape the line-breaks, so mail readers which decode quoted-printable but can't flow text are now S.O.L. Apple used to use the nice format=flowed standard instead.)

I think most mail readers are able to word-wrap raw text correctly
(even though it still makes your messages look bad amongst a thread of
nicely-formatted 80-column messages).
The real annoyance is when reading Web archives of mailing-lists, e.g.
http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2011-January/023346.html

Regards

Antoine.