[Python-Dev] Import and unicode: part two

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jan 24 10:45:35 CET 2011

>  > Really? I would have thought that cell phones have long been the
>  > platforms most supportive of Unicode.
>
> I would think so too, except in Japan.
>
> However, my previous phones exposed file systems with names encoded in
> Shift JIS to USB and IR browsers, though.  (My current one uses
> Bluetooth, and I don't know how to "get at" the filesystem itself.)  A
> lot of these devices also tend to present themselves as VFAT-formatted
> drives (a la a USB memory stick), and Shift JIS is very commonly used
> on those for reasons I don't really understand.

It's one thing how the file systems are formatted, but another thing
how they are presented to APIs. For example, the phones using Windows CE
would have to convert the file names to Unicode in the OS kernel.

So: for these phones - do you know how they present file names to the
application?

Regards,
Martin