[Python-Dev] Keeping __init__.py empty for Python packages used for module grouping.

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Mon Jan 24 20:18:07 CET 2011

Am 24.01.2011 20:04, schrieb Raymond Hettinger:
> Looking at http://docs.python.org/dev/library/html.html#module-html it would
> appear that we've created a new module with a single trivial function.
>
> In reality, there was already a python package, html, that served to group
> two loosely related modules, html.parser and html.entities.
>
> ISTM, that if we're going to use python packages as "namespace containers"
> for categorizing modules, then the top level __init__ namespace should be
> left empty.
>
> Before the placement of html.escape() becomes set in stone, I think we should
> consider putting it somewhere else.

To be honest, I don't see the issue.  I don't see stdlib packages as
"namespace containers", but rather as a nice way of structuring functionality.
And remember that flat is better than nested -- why should escape() be put
away into a new submodule?

At least you'll need to let us know where you would rather put that function.

Georg