[Python-Dev] Location of tests for packages

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Jan 25 08:26:56 CET 2011

Am 25.01.2011 02:19, schrieb Raymond Hettinger:

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Michael Foord wrote:
>> It isn't just unittest, it seems that all *test packages* are in their respective package and not Lib/test except for the json module where Raymond already moved the tests:
>>
>>    distutils/tests
>>    email/test
>>    ctypes/test
>>    importlib/test
>>    lib2to3/tests
>>    sqlite3/test
>>    tkinter/test
>>
>> So I'm a little confused as to why the focus on the *unittest* test suite.
>

> There's not a focus on unittest.  Importlib should also move under Lib/test
> and when email is ready, it too should fully join the organization of
> the overall project (Doc, Lib, Lib/test, Modules, Objects, Tools).

I'm +0 on moving all tests under Lib/test -- I think the respective
maintainers of the libraries in question should have the final word,
because...

> ISTM, ctypes and disutils could almost be viewed as separate projects.
> We could ship Python without ctypes for example and we've got a policy
> against implementing the rest of library using ctypes.  The same goes
> for tkinter (it is not uncommon to have builds with it). And sqlite3 is
> close to being completely third-party maintained.

this weakens the argument of having a consistent organization of test
modules: if one or two are allowed to have the test suite intra-package,
it doesn't matter so much any more for others.

Georg