[Python-Dev] Beta version of the new devguide

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jan 28 19:05:47 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 22:52, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 03:08, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> http://docs.python.org/devguide/
>>
>> If you are a core developer and have a correction you want to make you
>> can simply check out the devguide yourself (link is in the Resources
>> section of the devguide) and make the corrections yourself. Otherwise
>> reply here (you can email me directly but I already have instances of
>> multiple people telling me about the same spelling mistake so it's
>> nice to have it public so people know when I have been informed).
>
> Brett,
> A couple of concerns regarding the "Getting Set Up" page:
>
> 1)
>
> "Do note that CPython will notice that it is being run from a source
> checkout. This means that it if you edit Python source code in your
> checkout the changes will be picked up by the interpreter for
> immediate testing. "
>
> I'm not sure what this means. Does CPython really know it's being run
> from a source checkout as opposed to a source tarball?

Technically yes because of sys.subversion, but otherwise not really.
But then again the distinction is so minimal I'm not going to bother
rephrasing it to make it clear.

> By editing
> "Python source code" you mean the standard libraries/tests?

I'll make it "Python's".

> To be
> "picked up by the interpreter" you then need to run it from the root
> of the checkout (after build) but this is also true for source
> tarballs.

Once again, not an important distinction.

> 2)
>
> "The core CPython interpreter only needs a C compiler to build itself;"
>
> I find this confusing since the CPython interpreter doesn't build
> itself. A developer builds it with a C compiler / makefile. Some tools
> indeed "build themselves" in some kind of a bootstrap process (i.e.
> gcc, AFAIK).

True. I'll rephrase.

> I apologize in advance if this is too nit-picky ;-)

Sure, but at least you said it nicely. =)

-Brett