[Python-Dev] PEP 393: Flexible String Representation

Josiah Carlson josiah.carlson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 01:54:08 CET 2011

Pardon me for this drive-by posting, but this thread smells a lot like this
old thread (don't be afraid to read it all, there are some good points in
there; not directed at you Martin, but at all readers/posters in this
thread)...

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-September/003795.html

<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-September/003795.html>I'm
not averse to faster and/or more memory efficient unicode representations (I
would be quite happy with them, actually). I do see the usefulness of having
non-utf-8 representations, and caching them is a good idea, though I wonder
if that is a "good for Python itself to cache", or "good for the application
to cache".

The evil side of me says that we should just provide an API available in
Python/C for "give me the representation of unicode string X using the
2byte/4byte code points", and have it just return the appropriate
array.array() value (useful for passing to other APIs, or for those who need
to do manual manipulation of code-points), or whatever structure is deemed
to be appropriate.

The less evil side of me says that going with what the PEP offers isn't a
bad idea, and might just be a good idea.

I'll defer my vote to Martin.

Regards,
 - Josiah