[Python-Dev] Issue #11051: system calls per import

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jan 31 17:11:30 CET 2011

On Jan 30, 2011, at 05:35 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:

>And the real question is: should we change that before 3.2 final? If we
>don't change that in 3.2, it will be harder to change it later (but it
>is still possible).

I don't see how you possibly can without re-entering beta.  Mucking with the
import machinery *at all* does not seem prudent in the last RC. ;)

FWIW, I recall this being discussed at the time of the PEPs and we decided not
to narrow the search patterns down.  I'd have to go through my archives for
the details, but I think it would be better to officially deprecate the
'module' form so that they can be removed in a future version.

-Barry