[Python-Dev] PEP 397 (Python launcher for Windows) reference implementation

Dj Gilcrease digitalxero at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 21:04:44 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Mark Hammond <skippy.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
> While that makes alot of sense, the fact we are already "broken" in exactly
> the same way means I hope we can treat the restoration of associations as a
> separate issue - a worthwhile one, but not a pre-requisite for this PEP
> being approved.

I agree let the restoration or not of file association be an
implementation detail and not a requirement. I also agree with Paul
Moore that py.exe should be a separate install/uninstall It can be
bundled with the python MSI but should be a standalone MSI that the
python MSI executes. So uninstalling the version of python that
installed it alone is not enough to remove it. This will make it seem
like the file associations are just working for naive users but will
still let them remove the associations. We can just put a warning in
the uninstall process of py.exe that lets the user know if they still
have python versions installed they will need to re-install them to
get the file association again.