[Python-Dev] Issue10403 - using 'attributes' instead of members in documentation

Senthil Kumaran senthil at uthcode.com
Mon Jul 4 23:30:51 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:30:14AM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Rather than fighting that convention, we should probably just confront
> the ambiguity head on and update
> http://docs.python.org/dev/glossary.html#term-attribute to describe
> both uses of the term (and add a separate entry for "data attribute",
> with a definition which basically says "attributes which are not
> methods").

http://bugs.python.org/issue12491 is the issue to track it.  The
glossary term should give us a stance on what is meant by attributes.

For the other issue (10403), I just concentrated on removing the term
members and used attributes and methods appropriately focussing on
clarity rather than presenting the detail on the object model. For our
rescue, sphinx reST provide :attr: for attribute and :meth: for
methods. :)

--
Senthil