[Python-Dev] Draft PEP: Deprecate codecs.StreamReader and codecs.StreamWriter

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 08:53:50 CEST 2011

Benjamin Peterson <benjamin <at> python.org> writes:

> 2011/7/6 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com>:

> > The API of the resulting object is the same (i.e. they're file-like
> > objects). The behavioural differences are due to cases where the
> > codec-specific classes are currently broken.
>
> Yes, but as we all know too well, people are surely relying on
> whatever behavior there is, broken or not.

There's also the fact that code which currently runs under 2.x and 3.x would
stop working if codecs.StreamReader/StreamWriter were to go away. Of course, if
the codecs interfaces were re-implemented using io module code, the only
portability issues would be because of people relying on broken aspects of the
existing codecs code - which is unlikely to be all (or even most) of the people
using codecs.StreamReader/StreamWriter.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip