[Python-Dev] Python Launcher for Windows (PEP 397) needs testing!

Gertjan Klein gklein at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 7 14:59:21 CEST 2011

Vinay Sajip wrote:

>The C implementation of the PEP 397-compatible Python Launcher for Windows has
>come along nicely in the last few days, and now reached a point where it would
>benefit from some testing by interested python-dev members.

I've gotten the sources from:

>https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/pylauncher

GUILauncher and CLILauncher refuse to build with Visual C++ 2008 Express
Edition (using Launchers.sln):

.\CLILauncher.rc(97) : error RC2135 : file not found:
C:\Users\Vinay\Projects\Launchers\launcher.ico

This is on Windows XP Pro, 32 bit.

There are a few compilation warnings as well:

.\launcher.c(59) : warning C4996: '_wgetenv': This function or variable
may be unsafe. Consider using _wdupenv_s instead. To disable
deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.

Associator builds (with the same warning displayed above). When checking
it's dependencies, I see it depends on MSVCR90.DLL. You've mentioned
that you use only "plain C and Win32 APIs"; would it be possible to
remove this dependency? That would make it possible to copy the
executable to a directory on the PATH, without having to worry about
installing the C(++) runtime.

Regards,
Gertjan.