[Python-Dev] Failed to install PIL on windows, may have something to do with python implementaton

smith jack thinke365 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 03:02:01 CEST 2011

I am a programmer with more than two years of python programming
experience, often the debugging process may led me to the details of
some details of python implementation, this is exciting : )

Now i face a problem, that is i want to install PIL on windows, but
failed, the error messages tells that the python installation cannot
find python information in the windows register, lol, this is true,
since i got a zipped python and extract it the a directory, not using
a msi file to install python.

So how should i do in order to install PIL for my python environment?
I find that PIL installation file is a zipped file with execution
capability  (is it of 7z format?)  Now i can open this exe file using
7z, and there are lots of .py files there, with directory somewhat as
follows:

PLATLIB
    PIL\*.py
    PIL.pth   (a plaintext file with content "PIL")

SCRIPTS
    *.py

so can i just extrat the py files to my python installation directory?
then will PIL work correctly? (should i extract PIL\*.py to
python_24\Lib\site-packages, and extract *.py to python_24\Scripts?)

Will this work?  since this have something to do with the
implementation of Python,   i come to this maillist and ask for
help.....  Hope i can receive some suggestions, Thank you :)