[Python-Dev] 3.2.1 encoding surprise

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Mon Jul 18 21:10:46 CEST 2011

Attached reduced test case works fine with Python 3.1, fails with Python3.2:

SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xc3' in file D:\my\py\t32enc.py on
line 1, but no encoding declared; see
http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details

I'm familiar with the PEP, but thought 3.x cured that.  Python 3.1
produces no error; I'm not sure that 3.2 did or didn't report such
problems, or if the programs I ran with 3.2 simply didn't contain
non-ASCII characters.

The file is UTF-8 encoded with no pseudo-BOM.

Is this intentional, or a regression (in which case I will open a ticket)?

If a regression, does that mean we have no tests for it, possibly
because most of the tests contain the PEP 263 encoding directive,
because most people using 3.x are still also using 2.x (I am not)?