[Python-Dev] 3.2.1 encoding surprise

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue Jul 19 04:03:43 CEST 2011

On 7/18/2011 6:41 PM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> Yes, but the launcher installer is beta software, and it's not yet clear
> exactly how the launcher will be packaged with Python 3.3. Clearly if
> packaged as an automatic installation with Python, it will use Python
> defaults.

Sure, and that's why I'm trying it out now, to provide feedback.  But
because I couldn't tell from assoc and ftype commands that it had done
anything, I was a bit surprised by the behaviors I did encounter when I
encountered them.  So now I've learned about the limits of ftype and
assoc, sadly.  And they only work for setting things in HLM if you "Run
as administrator", by the way.

Wonder if there is a third party command line tool which augments them
for reading/setting HCU Classes?  Will search.  I know there is a
command line registry tool somewhere, but specifying the paths correctly
would be onerous.

Would be nice if the default of Py 2.x or 3.x were an install question,
perhaps.  I know that only affects scripts without #! lines, but it
would be nice to limit the required creation of those to the smaller
class of preexisting scripts on a particular installation.

> Note that ALLUSERS was introduced precisely because Microsoft didn't think
> things through initially with sufficient care, and there's no way to get
> consistent behaviour across XP and Vista/Windows 7. It's possible to force
> ALLUSERS=1 in the .msi, but this means that non-admin users can't try the
> launcher. Unfortunately AFAICT, there's no obvious solution which "just
> works", though if someone were to point out a solution it could certainly be
> tried.

Could be, with .msi and/or .cab installers.  I have no knowledge of
them, except that when I first needed to use an installer to package
things, I read a bit about them, and determined that they are too
complex for my brain.  I found NSIS, still complex, but it is much
friendlier to my brain, but it seems to handle this case correctly,
giving the installer creator the option of asking for or demanding
elevation, and exposing the answer to the rest of the logic of the
installer, so it can do different things for those cases if it desires.