[Python-Dev] 3.2.1 encoding surprise

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Thu Jul 21 02:22:03 CEST 2011

On 7/20/2011 5:11 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:
> On 21/07/2011 10:02 AM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
>> So this tells me that it didn't find a local py.ini (no surprise, I
>> don't have one) but doesn't tell me that it did find or read
>> c:\Windows\system32\py.ini much less whether I have the syntax correct
>> for my [defaults] section.  It doesn't tell me that it didn't find a #!
>> line (but there isn't one).
>
> I'll have a go at enhancing the debug output for most of the above
> (although note that if it *did* find a shebang line extra output would
> have been generated.)
>
>> Perhaps the problem is that there isn't one?  If it finds no virtual
>> command, maybe it doesn't obey the [defaults] python=3 directive?  The
>> PEP says it should act like '!#python' (I think the PEP meant
>> '#!python', though????).  There is no " " after '!#python' in the PEP,
>> so that disqualifies it from being a customized command, there is no
>> '/usr/bin/' nor '/usr/bin/env ' in front of the 'python' so that means
>> it is not a virtual command; and it is not a fully-qualified name, so it
>> doesn't mean that case either.... looks like the PEP needs a bit of
>> clarification here.
>
> I'm not sure the PEP needs clarification - possibly just the
> implementation ;)  But let me know if you think otherwise.

Well, at least !# should be changed to #! :)  And then the example of
"customized command" shows "#! vpython" with the space before the
vpython, but the text describes the necessary space as being after the
customized command, at least the way I read it.  So I really don't know
whether the example is showing an extraneous space after the ! (and not
one after vpython) or exactly what is meant.

>> I do have a python on my path, but it is 3.1.2, not 3.2.1 or 2.6.4, and
>> it runs 2.6.4 as the output shows.
>
> FYI, what is on the path isn't relevant to the launcher.

I didn't expect it to be, I just mentioned it in passing, because the
launcher doesn't seem to be doing what I expect it to do, but neither
does it seem to be using the PATH to find a Python either.

>> And I would expect it to run 3.2.1
>> with the [defaults] python=3 directive, since that is newer than 3.1.2,
>> which is on my PATH.
>
> It may be that your copy of the launcher is a little old - some
> changes were pushed just yesterday (but I'm not sure if Vinay made a
> new installer yet).  It has slightly better debug output (although
> generally not what you are asking for yet) and better
> "cross-bittedness" support.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Mine's a week old, yes.