[Python-Dev] 3.2.1 encoding surprise

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 16:43:04 CEST 2011

On 21 July 2011 09:13, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> Certainly when the launcher is invoked via an association, this would
> be the case.  However, when the launcher is invoked via the command
> line, then the unqualified name is passed through.  To be useful from
> the command line, the launcher should walk the PATH to find the .py file.

It's equally as arguable (and would match my expectations much more
closely) that "py a_file.py" should do whatever "python a_file.py"
would do. So path search in that context would only be reasonable if
it were a Python feature rather than a feature of the launcher.

This is what the launcher currently does (so I guess it's not
surprising that I'm happy with the current behaviour).

I can see the benefits of path search, but I'd want it to be a Python
feature (and hence inherited "for free" by the launcher) and not a
launcher-only one.

Paul.