[Python-Dev] Issue10271 - warnings.showwarning should allow any callable object - request commiter

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jul 21 20:15:49 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 23:05, lekmalek <lekmalek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:19:59 -0700
> Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>
> > Just so people know, I went ahead and fixed this for 3.3 (but not for
> > 3.2 since it changes the API in a subtle way).
> Yeah, but that shouldn't break anything.

It won't break any _existing_ code, but it could cause compatibility for
_future_ code. Imagine I wrote some code for 3.2.2 where this change was
backported and worked *only* with this fix. That would mean my code would
fail in any Python 3.2.1 or older interpreter. That's simply not acceptable
as that means that code would be magically busted for some versions of
Python 3.2 but not all of them.

> Anyway, thanks a lot for your help, I'm happy it's in 3.3.

I'm just sorry it took so long to resolve. Life has been crazy for me in
2011.

-Brett