[Python-Dev] Draft PEP: "Simplified Package Layout and Partitioning"

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Fri Jul 22 02:31:04 CEST 2011

On 7/21/2011 5:00 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Le vendredi 22 juillet 2011 à 09:53 +1000, Nick Coghlan a écrit :
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Antoine Pitrou<solipsis at pitrou.net>  wrote:
>>> I have a question.
>>>
>>> If I have (on sys.path) a module "x.py" containing, say:
>>>
>>>     y = 5
>>>
>>> and (also on sys.path), a directory "x" containing a "y.py" module.
>>>
>>> What is "from x import y" supposed to do?
>>>
>>> (currently, it would bind "y" to its value in x.py)
>> It would behave the same as it does today: the imported value of 'y' would be 5.
>>
>> Virtual packages only kick in if an import would otherwise fail.
> Wouldn't it produce confusing situations like the above example?
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

If I have (on sys.path), a directory "x" containing a "y.py" module, and
later (on sys.path), another directory "x" containing a "y.py" module,
what is "from x import y" supposed to do?

OR

If I have (on sys.path), a module "x.py" containing, say:

    y = 5

and later (on sys.path), another module "x.py" containing, say:

    y = 6

what is "from x import y" supposed to do?

I guess I don't see how this new proposal makes anything more confusing
than it already is?