[Python-Dev] hard linking executables

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 22:00:05 CEST 2011

It's been suggested that *ix has hardlinks because someone thought up
hardlinks before someone thought up symlinks - IOW, there are those who
suggest that if people had added symlinks first, no one would've bothered
adding hardlinks.

Symlinks are almost always more flexible, and almost always more clear.

The main counterexample seems to be rsync-based backup systems, that will
hardlink identical files of a given pathname.  But that seems to be a bit of
a mess when it comes time to transfer such a backup from one filesystem to
another.