[Python-Dev] cpython (3.2): Fix sorting or wording of some NEWS entries.

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Jul 29 16:55:03 CEST 2011

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:22:08 +0200
Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:

> > There's no practical difference (from the user's point of view) between
> > extension modules and the library, so I think the "Extension Modules"
> > section should simply die.
>
> +1 to that.  Would built-in modules like imp belong to Library or
> Interpreter Core?  (I’d say Core.)

As soon as you are fixing a library API, it should IMO go to Library.
The fact that some modules are "built-in" is an implementation detail.
For example, "_io" is compiled in the executable (for bootstrap
reasons), yet it's still considered part of the library.

> When merging 3.2 into 3.3, I started sorting the Misc/NEWS file there
> too but stopped after ~30 changes.  On one hand, I know that developer
> time would be better spent on fixing bugs rather than reading a commit
> sorting NEWS entries, but on the other hand I thought it best for
> readers of this file to have something that makes sense.  Build fixes
> were not in a dedicated section, Core and Library are happily mixed, so
> I thought that my sorting could help even the What’s New author.  I
> wanted to ask python-dev first, though.

Well, sorting is fine, if you don't think your developer time could be
used for more valuable tasks :)

Regards

Antoine.