[Python-Dev] HTMLParser and HTML5

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jul 29 22:34:13 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 13:16, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2011, at 3:00 PM, Matt wrote:
>
> I don't see any real reason to drop a decent piece of code (HTMLParser,
> that is) in favor of a third party library when only relatively minor
> updates are needed to bring it up to speed with the latest spec.
>

> I am not really one to throw stones here, as Twisted contains a lenient
> pseudo-XML parser which I still maintain - one which decidedly does *not* agree
> with html5's requirements for dealing with invalid data, but just a bunch of
> ad-hoc guesses of my own.
>
> My impression of HTML5 is that HTMLParser would require significant
> modifications and possibly a drastic re-architecture in order to really do
> HTML5 "right"; especially the parts that the html5lib authors claim makes
> HTML5 streaming-unfriendly, i.e. subtree reordering when encountering
> certain types of invalid data.

We could also have the code live side-by-side for a while (or indefinitely
if that was really desired) by bringing html5lib in as either a separate
module or having the relevant classes live in htmllib under different names.

But all of this is just hypothetical until someone decides to do the legwork
to actually make a proposal and get the coding done.

-Brett