[Python-Dev] cpython (3.2): Stop ignoring Mercurial merge conflits files (#12255).

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Jul 30 04:28:30 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 7:22 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:36:03 +0200, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

>> > That's one view.  My view is that 'hg status' tells me all the files
>> > that have appeared in my tree that I'm either not currently tracking or
>> > explicitly ignoring (because the project's automated tools will deal
>> > with them).  Nothing in there about limiting it to files I *might*
>> > want to track.  That is how I've always used my version control
>> > systems.
>>
>> Ok, I understand. However, it also makes things more tedious for other
>> people who don't user their VCS in such a way, so it would be nice how
>> other people feel about this.
>
> They can add those files to their personal .hgrc.  I can't *remove*
> those ignores via mine.

Well, *I* don't ever want to check in .orig or .rej files (because
various tools create them) so I want them in my .hgignore file. Here's
a sample .hgignore file I carry around with me:
http://code.google.com/p/appengine-ndb-experiment/source/browse/.hgignore

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)