[Python-Dev] Convention on functions that shadow existing stdlib functions

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sat Jul 30 08:55:09 CEST 2011

Am 29.07.2011 11:26, schrieb Barry Warsaw:

> So I'm curious, why is this move better than adding noindexes, or just
> trusting users to understand the difference between test.support.unlink() and
> os.unlink()?  If I currently search for 'unlink', os.unlink comes up first,
> which is good, and that should be preserved.  The presence or not of some
> test.support.unlink documentation isn't going to make the search results that
> much better or worse (there's already 14 hits).

Also don't forget that this is open-source: we shouldn't do questionable
decisions (-1 from me on moving test.support docs to the devguide) just
because the tool is lacking.

I can probably hack up a small addition to Doc/tools/sphinxext in five minutes
that ignores the whole of test.* when building the index.

Georg