[Python-Dev] Extending os.chown() to accept user/group names

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Wed Jun 1 16:35:16 CEST 2011

Wiadomość napisana przez Martin v. Löwis w dniu 2011-06-01, o godz. 08:48:

>> Le mercredi 25 mai 2011 à 18:46 +0200, Charles-François Natali a écrit :
>>> While we're at it, adding a "recursive" argument to this shutil.chown
>>> could also be useful.
>>
>> I don't like the idea of a recursive flag.
>
> I think shutil.chown should aim to mimic chown(1). At least GNU chown
> has a -R flag (not sure about POSIX chown), and it's useful in practice.

cp(1) and rm(1) also have "-r", still there are `shutil.copytree` and `shutil.rmtree`. I would like to keep that consistency, e.g. to have `shutil.chown` and `shutil.chowntree` as previously discussed by Charles-François, Nick and Petri.

--
Best regards,
Łukasz Langa

IT Infrastructure Department