[Python-Dev] is anyone using Misc/RPM?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jun 13 03:42:43 CEST 2011

Benjamin Peterson writes:

 > I should qualify: We shouldn't distribute distribution-specific files
 > for which we don't provide binaries.

Probably it belongs in a "contrib" area of the tree, but one of the
things I find really annoying about distros is the way they refuse to
use my perfectly good locally built Python (XEmacs, Mailman, Django,
Zope, ...).  Having the magic incantation to persuade them that the
locally built software satisfies dependencies in the source itself is
very convenient.

In fact, even if you *do* provide binaries it may be useful to have
both the "provided" installer configuration (which may require things
like DBMSes, perhaps several of them) and a bare-bones config for
DIYers to use.  (Violates TOOWTDI, I know, but PBP sometimes.)