[Python-Dev] pysetup as a top script

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Wed Jun 15 18:07:58 CEST 2011

Le 31/05/2011 08:45, Tarek Ziadé a écrit :
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If no one objects, I'll promote Tools/scripts/pysetup3 to a top level
>>> script that gets installed in scripts/ like 2to3, pydoc etc..
>>>
>>> That way, people will be able to use it directly when installing,
>>> removing projects, or studying what's installed
>> Cool.
>>
>> Now I'm trying to remember if it was a list discussion or the language
>> summit where you got the initial consensus on that approach...
> The thread starts here:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-October/104535.html
>
> The pysetup top-level script was mentioned here:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2010-October/104581.html

A few other reasons that were not mentioned previously:

- In 2.4, we can’t run “-m distutils2.run”, but a pysetup2.4 script works

- It’s nice for users to have something shorter than “python3.3 -m
packaging.run run sdist” (I like to take “make” as the ideal goal)

- It sends a message that we care about packaging (personal opinion)

Regards