[Python-Dev] packaging backport

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:27:53 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 3:12 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:42:05 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tarek_Ziad=E9?= <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Before I start to write my own refactoring tool, I was wondering if
>> anyone here had some experience in this, and could give me some hints.
>
> Coul you could just write a 3to2 fixer?  I don't know how hard it is to
> run just a selected set of fixers (so that you could use it to generate
> python3 code), but it seems to me that renaming modules is something
> that 3to2 (and 2to3, of course) should be good at.

The one thing rope is good at is to find where a given variable name
is used, and rename all occurrences recursively. So basically, when
you rename an import, it renames all the code that uses it.

I don't really know how 2to3/3to2 work but I assumed that it does not
do this, but simply give you a hook for every visited node. IOW that
looking for dependencies is to be done

Cheers
Tarek

--