[Python-Dev] In-Python virtualisation and packaging

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 02:06:39 CEST 2011

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> How well does the regression test suite cope when run inside such a
> virtualised environment?

I followed this up, and three tests fail: test_lib2to3, test_packaging and
test_sysconfig. These are errors which show up on the default branch too [1][2];
full results are at [3]. I've been keeping the pythonv branch synchronised with
default - these results appear to be quite stable/repeatable (old versions of
the results are available in the gist at [3]).

I did another test: in a pythonv-created environment, I tested pythonv/pysetup3
by trying to install all PyPI packages with a Python 3 trove classifier, where a
source distribution can be found. This smoke test shows a total of 398 such
packages, 310 of which were installed in the environment without errors. That's
78% - not too bad for this early stage in the game. The details of the failing
88 packages are at [4], and some of these are pysetup3 issues but a fair few are
bugs in the packages themselves (e.g. SyntaxErrors in setup.py, or missing
readme files that setup.py expects to be there) or missing dependencies like
boost.python or similar C-level dependencies. These tests were done with a
patched version of Distribute which uses sys.site_prefix is available, falling
back to sys.prefix when not (so the Distribute change is backward compatible).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue12331
[2] http://bugs.python.org/issue9100