[Python-Dev] PEP 380 acceptance (was Re: EuroPython Language Summit report)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 06:29:57 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> Let me cut this short. PEP 380 is pretty much approved. I know there
>> are a few details worth quibbling over, but they are not going to
>> jeopardize acceptance of the PEP. We are waiting for an implementation
>> in Python 3.3. In fact, I wouldn't mind at this point if someone took
>> their best effort at an implementation and checked it into the 3.3
>> branch, and we can do the quibbling over the details while we have a
>> working implementation to experiment with.
>
> Based on this message, I've bumped PEP 380 to Accepted, and I'm now
> working on committing Renaud Blanch's forward port of Greg's original
> patch (see http://bugs.python.org/issue11682).

I hit a snag with this. The real tests of the PEP 380 functionality
aren't currently part of the patch - they're a big set of "golden
output" tests in the zipfile hosted on Greg's site. Those need to be
refactored into proper unittest or doctest based additions to the test
suite and incorporated into the patch before I could commit this with
a clear conscience. That's not going to be as quick as I first
thought.

Renaud's patch mostly applies cleanly at the moment - the only change
is that the "#endif" for the Py_LIMITED_API check needs to be moved in
pyerrors.h so it also covers the new StopIteration struct definition.

Regards,
Nick.

[1] http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python/yield-from/yield_from.html