[Python-Dev] Issue10403 - using 'attributes' instead of members in documentation

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Jun 27 19:27:26 CEST 2011

Le Tue, 28 Jun 2011 00:36:20 +1000,
Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> a écrit :
> And no, the fact that methods can be treated as attributes is not a
> minor detail. It is *fundamental* to Python's object model that
> *methods are not a special case of attribute access*.

Uh, and so what?

Again, the stdlib docs are describing APIs from a high-level viewpoint, not
the Python object model. Just because a method is treated like other
attributes, or a function is treated like other callable objects, doesn't
mean we should replace "method" with "attribute", or "function" with
"callable object", or "class" with "instance of the type type".

I'm -1 on such a change anyway.

Regards

Antoine.