[Python-Dev] open(): set the default encoding to 'utf-8' in Python 3.3?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jun 29 09:58:51 CEST 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 09:42 PM, Georg Brandl wrote:

>We need to stop making incompatible changes to Python 3.  We had the chance
>and took it to break all kinds of stuff, some of it gratuitous, with 3.0 and
>even 3.1.  Now the users need a period of compatibility and stability (just
>like the language moratorium provided for one aspect of Python).

+1.  I think this is the #1 complaint I hear about Python in talking to
users.  I think in general we do a pretty good job of maintaining backward
compatibility between releases, but not a perfect job, and the places where we
miss can be painful for folks.  It may be difficult to achieve in all cases,
but compatibility should be carefully and thoroughly considered for all
changes, especially in the stdlib, and clearly documented where deliberate
decisions to break that are adopted.

-Barry