[Python-Dev] contributors survey?

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 16:00:10 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 20:43:27 -0800
> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> But I wouldn't be surprised if some people had regrets about the way
>> the community works (I can recall at least one such case) and it would
>> be useful to learn from those occasions, if they'll let us. And the
>> numbers might tell us something, too.
> Yes, that's the kind of things that would be good to hear about IMO.
> It's obvious that in some cases patches and reports go simply
> unanswered for years, and in these cases a first-time reporter or
> contributor won't bother again (who would?).
> But I wonder if there are other social or technical factors, such as
> the community being too intimidating or not welcoming enough.
> Actually, if some python-dev readers have something to say about that,
> they are welcome :)

FWIW, Here's some feedback I got from the community awhile ago - not
all of the respondents are ex contributors, but rather this is a
general "why don't you contribute" question. I've still not had the
time to internalize it, other then to pester Brett to work on the dev

It's worth a good read-through. I got a lot of private emails all in
the same tone. Speed of turn around, push back from entrenched
developers turning off new contributors, etc.