[Python-Dev] Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Wed Mar 2 20:54:24 CET 2011

On Mar 2, 2011, at 11:42 AM, R. David Murray wrote:
> Well, I personally won't use a distribution that makes this choice.
> For whatever that's worth :)

This ***shouldn't*** be a choice distros have to make. There should be a standard upstream recommended way to install python, and that's also what "make install" should do. That distros are having to make a choice here is a problem in communication from python core developers -- it sucks that we've gotten this far without consensus on a proper transition plan for moving from Python 2.X to Python 3.X.

James