[Python-Dev] unittest.main() --catch parameter

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Mar 3 21:44:06 CET 2011

On 03/03/2011 20:31, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> I am looking at --help of test runner and asking the question: what is
> the use case for -c, --catch option?
It catches keyboard interrupt and instead of just bombing out of the
test run it reports all the results collected so far.

Without this option interrupting a test run with a ctrl-c kills the run
and reports nothing. Seeing an unexpected failure or error during a long
test run and having to wait to the end of the test run to see the
traceback can be annoying, this feature solves that problem.

> It doesn't look like it should be
> present in generic runner. I also can't find reasons to waste short
> option for it.

Nose, django and other test runners provide this option, so it is
functionality that people seem to value.

> There will be big problems with people complaining
> about BC break even if this option is not used by anyone.

I don't understand this sentence, sorry.

All the best,

Michael Foord