[Python-Dev] Integrate the faulthandler module into Python 3.3?

Simon Cross hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:05:04 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:
> Some months ago, I proposed a patch to display the Python backtrace on a
> segfault. The API was not stable, it was too for Python 3.2, and it was
> enabled by default. I wrote a module instead of a patch so it can be
> used on any version of Python, and it has a better API. And now I would
> like to include the module into Python directly to use it more easily.
> See http://bugs.python.org/issue11393 for the details. The module:

While I like this module I'm against it going into the standard
library so soon. Modules need time to mature, develop and gain wide
adoption outside the standard library where they are less constrained
by maintaining compatibility with old versions and can enjoy shorter
release cycles.

There may be reasons for including a shiny new module in the standard
library despite the drawbacks (the rest of the standard library might
wish to use the new feature, for example). If there are such reasons
it would be nice to see them stated and discussed here.

Schiavo
Simon