[Python-Dev] Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 4 22:35:43 CET 2011

> I don't think duplicating python.exe as python2.exe or python3.exe would
> be very much work at all, if we decide it is a good thing. Sure it
> doesn't resolve all the myriad problems of Python on Windows but I don't
> think that is a good reason not to consider it. Up to Martin on this one
> though and again depends if we just make recommendations or actually
> change Python 2.7.

Changing the installer should be easy - there is a DuplicateFile table
in MSI (*) for this kind of installation task.

I'd still like the PEP to tell me whether it's python3w.exe or
pythonw3.exe (and yes, that's bikeshedding - so somebody just tell
me). It would also be good if the PEP took a position on providing
pythonXY.exe binaries on Windows (with the related question of
whether it's python32w.exe, python3.2w.exe, pythonw32.exe or pythonw3.2.exe)

Regards,
Martin

(*) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368335(v=vs.85).aspx