[Python-Dev] PEP 395: Module Aliasing

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 08:14:07 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
>> Fixing direct execution inside packages
>
> +1 on both of these.
>
> I don't see any major problems with these.  Any minor issues can be worked
> out.
>
> I suggest separating these two items out into their own PEP, and doing them
> first.

This first draft includes everything I *want* to do. If I have to
scale the proposal back to get it accepted because I can't convince
enough other people it's a good idea... well, even Guido isn't immune
to that part of the PEP process (cf. PEP 340). It wouldn't be the
first PEP to have a "Rejected Ideas" section, and I'm sure it wouldn't
be the last.

I definitely intend to implement this in a few different pieces,
though - the order of the 4 different fixes in the PEP also summarises
what I consider to be a reasonable development strategy as well.

Cheers,
Nick.