[Python-Dev] Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Mar 5 19:52:39 CET 2011

On 3/5/2011 12:44 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 5 March 2011 15:09, Michael Foord<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>  wrote:
>> On 04/03/2011 21:35, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>> It would also be good if the PEP took a position on providing
>>> pythonXY.exe binaries on Windows (with the related question of
>>> whether it's python32w.exe, python3.2w.exe, pythonw32.exe or
>>> pythonw3.2.exe)
>>>

>> I would really like to see this. We do it on other platforms, it is useful
>> there, it would be useful on Windows for the same reasons.
>
> +1. And I'm OK with python3w and python32w as a colour for the bikeshed...

Except for the the spelling of color ;-)
I agree. Let 'w' always be the last suffix.

With that settled, there is the issue of Start menu shortcuts. I thought
we had agreed to put version specific labels on them so we would not
have, for instance, identical 'IDLE (Python GUI)' items in the
frequently used list. I guess that got lost without a PEP to put it on.
Now there is?

--
Terry Jan Reedy