[Python-Dev] hg pull failed

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun Mar 6 17:07:06 CET 2011

On 06.03.2011 16:44, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Georg> Yesterday's repository was still the test repository, now it's
>     Georg> the real one.  You'll need to clone again.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I have a question about updates from cloned clones.  Suppose I clone the
> central repo then clone locally to get the 2.7 and 3.2 release branches:
>
>     hg clone http://hg.python.org/cpython
>     hg clone cpython 3.2
>     hg clone cpython 2.7
>
> If I want to later update my maintenance branches to get any updates will it
> suffice to just hg pull in my 2.7 and/or 3.2 directories or do I need to
> pull in cpython first?  I guess my question is, are these clones transitive?

If you don't change repo configuration after these commands, "hg pull" in the
3.2 repo will pull from the local cpython repo.  I'd advise to set the "default"
entry in each of the clones' .hg/hgrc file to http://hg.python.org/cpython
(as a committer you should be using ssh://hg@hg.python.org/cpython BTW).

This way, "hg push" and "hg pull" communicate with the remote repo.  You can
still exchange commits with the other local clones by using, for example,
"hg push ../3.2".  (You can also add another entry in the .hgrc's [paths]
section if you want to give nicknames to these path names).

Georg