[Python-Dev] CPython hg transition complete

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Mar 6 18:44:18 CET 2011

Le dimanche 06 mars 2011 à 11:34 -0600, skip at pobox.com a écrit :
> Assume I have separate 3.1 and 3.2 sandboxes
> which are sibling directories of each other, and that I commit a change to
> my 3.1 sandbox, how do I merge the change from 3.1 to 3.2?  Assume I don't
> understand the instructions later on in the section titled "Using several
> working copies."  It seems I would have to commit on 3.1, push to the
> main central repository, merge to 3.2 (how?), then go through the compile,
> test, repeat cycle again.  Is there no way to merge from my 3.1 repo to my
> 3.2 repo before committing (sorry for the pun) to a central push?

Yes, there is. You can simply push to your 3.2 repo instead:

$ cd 3.1
$ hg up 3.1    # just in case
 # hack, compile, test
$ hg ci -m "Issue #xxx: nasty bug now fixed"
$ hg push ../3.2
$ cd ../3.2
$ hg up 3.2    # just in case
$ hg merge 3.1
 # compile, test, optionally resolve conflicts
$ hg ci -m "Merge fix for issue #xxx"

At this point you can push to the public repo from your "3.2" clone, or
repeat the above push & merge to your "default" clone (with the
"default" branch checked out) and push from there.

(by the way, the
  $ hg push ../3.2
  $ cd ../3.2
sequence above is equivalent to