[Python-Dev] PyCObject_AsVoidPtr removed from python 3.2 - is this documented?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Mar 7 10:41:43 CET 2011

John Arbash Meinel, 07.03.2011 09:36:
> On 3/7/2011 3:56 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 3/6/2011 6:09 PM, Barry Scott wrote:
>>> I see that PyCObject_AsVoidPtr has been removed from python 3.2.
>>> The 3.2 docs do not seem to explain this has happened and what
>>> to replace it with.
>>>
>>> I searched the 3.2 docs and failed to find PyCObject_AsVoidPtr.
>>> I looked at the whats new page and the API PEP. Did I miss
>>> where this is documented?
>>
>> Georg recently reaffirmed on a tracker issue that when something is
>> removed from the code, it is removed from the docs also. So the place to
>> look for a deprecation notice and replacement suggestion is in the last
>> release where present.
>>

> It might be interesting to just have a stub entry with:
>
>    PyCObject_AsVoidPtr (This was deleted in 3.2, last available in [3.1])
>
> Might end up being too cluttered, but certainly helps the people who hit
> the problem.

-1. When you do a search for the function on docs.python.org, you will see
where it's being documented. Then, click on the latest version that has it
and find the deprecation notice.

Searching will also likely let you run into the "What's new" documents that
mention its deprecation and removal.

Stefan