[Python-Dev] Obsolete content at http://www.python.org/dev/* ?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Mar 7 22:14:32 CET 2011

With the transition to the new devguide, references to the main page of
the old dev section of the website, http://www.python.org/dev/, redirect
to http://docs.python.org/devguide/, the main page of the new guide.
However, many links to some obsoleted sections of the old dev section
are out in the wild (and showing up prominently in Google searches) and
the webserver still seems to be serving up those obsolete links even
though they appear to have been deleted from the www repo, for instance,
the old links previously under Core Development on the left margin bar:

http://www.python.org/dev/faq/
http://www.python.org/dev/setup/
http://www.python.org/dev/tools/
etc

I was going to suggest that the webserver be changed to redirect all
/dev/* references to /devguide/ but then I noticed that's it not that
simple as there are other valid links still under /dev:

http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/
http://www.python.org/dev/pydotorg/
http://www.python.org/dev/searchplugin/

So I think there are two issues here:
1. deleted webpages cached by the webserver
2. adding redirects from /dev/{faq|setup|tools| et al } to
docs.python.org/devguide

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org