[Python-Dev] [PEPs] Support the /usr/bin/python2 symlink upstream

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 7 23:29:19 CET 2011

On 07/03/2011 22:18, James Y Knight wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
>> The launcher could also (as per Mark's suggestion) interpret a shebang
>> line in the script, so that scripts could specify their required
>> version without needing a different command,or multiple
>> version-specific extensions.
> Note that, on Unix, "python file.py" doesn't choose the correct version of python to run by looking at a shebang, it just runs the version of python installed as "python". Only "./file.py" looks at the shebang (assuming that file is marked executable).
>
> Is the proposal to make python.exe do that on windows? That is a rather significant difference from the unix behavior.

By default "python.exe" is not on the path in windows, so unless the
current directory is the python install (or you have manually changed
your path) "python foo.py" does *nothing*. That is a *very* big
difference from unix behaviour.

The proposal is (apparently) to create another executable called
"python.exe" that is put on the path by the installer (if the user has
the right permissions to do this).

I believe the intention is that "python foo.py" *will* then lookup the
shebang to run the "right" version of python, defaulting to the last
installed version of python (I assume).

All the best,

Michael Foord