[Python-Dev] forward-porting from 3.1 to 3.2 to 3.3

Nadeem Vawda nadeem.vawda at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 09:10:05 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
> The devguide's recommendation is to "forward-port" changes withing a major
> release line, i.e. if I need something in all 3.[123], then start with 3.1
> and forward-port (by "hg merge <branch>") to 3.2 and then 3.3
>
> Just to clarify - does this mean that all changesets that are applied to 3.2
> eventually get to 3.3 as well? Since we just do "hg merge 3.2" in the 3.3
> clone, I guess this must be true. But then what happens if there's a change
> in 3.2 that shouldn't get into 3.3? (say a bug fix for a feature that has
> disappeared)?

The "Note:" box two paragraphs down from
<http://docs.python.org/devguide/committing.html#porting-within-a-major-version>
explains how prevent a changeset from propagating: you do a dummy merge
where you revert the changes before committing. This marks the changeset from
3.2 as having been merged into default/3.3 without actually applying
the changes.

Nadeem