[Python-Dev] About raising NotPortableWarning for CPython specific code

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Sat Mar 12 21:04:27 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 14:52, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 3/12/2011 8:59 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> (obviously, history now means that changing our behaviour would
>
> require a deprecation period)
>>

> I disagree. Behavior that contradicts intent and doc is a bug and should be
> fixed.

It should be fixed, yes, but breaking existing code is going to piss off a
lot of people (like me) who already have enough worries when upgrading
Python. It is apparent that there *is* code out there that relies on this
behaviour, we shouldn't break it wlily-nilly. A warning when CPython
encounters the case that will change behaviour in the next CPython release
and in other implementations is almost as good as changing the behaviour.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!