[Python-Dev] forward-porting from 3.1 to 3.2 to 3.3

Nadeem Vawda nadeem.vawda at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 23:24:07 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 1:29 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Isn't that command correct only if you are merging into default?
> ISTM that it should be "hg revert -ar <targetbranch>".

In general, yes. However, the existing text refers specifically to the
case of merging 3.2
into default, so I was trying to be consistent with that.

The current text, after my proposed change, will be:

hg update default
hg merge 3.2
hg revert -ar default
hg commit

For full generality, you might want to say:

hg update <targetbranch>
hg merge <sourcebranch>
hg revert -ar <targetbranch>
hg commit

However, the entire section on forward-porting is framed in terms of
concrete examples
(and that specific subsection refers explicitly to the "3.2 ->
default" case). The existing
text makes sense to me, so I don't see any need to change this.

Regards,
Nadeem