[Python-Dev] VM and Language summit info for those not at Pycon (and those that are!)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 00:32:25 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> On 3/12/2011 3:43 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
> I posted my rough notes and additional write-ups for Wednesday's VM
> summit and Thursday's language summit:
>
> http://www.boredomandlaziness.org/2011/03/python-vm-summit-rough-notes.html
>
> 2.7 to 3.2
>   - treat PyPy Python 3 dialect like a major Python library (e.g. sponsored
> by PSF)
>
> Can someone expound on what this means?  (context in above link)

The context where this came up was the fact that the PSF has the
ability to fund specific, concrete proposals targeted at porting key
libraries to Python 3 (e.g. this already happened with PyOpenSSL). The
structure of PyPy means that Python 3 support is about implementing a
new front end without needing to change the backend (the latter
includes the JIT, etc), so it was mentioned as something the PyPy
folks might want to consider seeking funding for.

Cheers,
Nick.