[Python-Dev] Using feature branches for local development

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 13:32:55 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 13:25, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm experimenting with creating some local branches for things I'd
> like to work on during the sprints this week, and have a couple of
> questions about the associated workflow.

The way to do this, IMHO, is just create a local clone and work on it. Then
you can keep checking partial changes in without ever worrying about
accidentally modifying the official repo. Especially if some of this work is
experimental and bound to eventually be thrown away, I think it's a more
flexible way to work than use MQ.

One thing to keep in mind though is backup. I may be paranoid, but I just
can't do anything of importance on a local machine (especially a laptop) for
any prolonged period of time without occasional backups. Thankfully, a
Mercurial repo is about the best tool you have for backing things up - just
remote clone it to bitbucket, google code or some place of your own and
periodically push there.

Eli